Toxins in candles can be dangerous especially if you have pets and kids at home. Think of how hazardous certain ingredients can be if you are to inhale them on a daily basis. The smell emanating from these candles can cause cancer and chronic lung disease in the future. The candles we burn day to day might be affordable but opting for a good quality organic tea http://www.etraid.com.au/numi-tea.html candle can save your life. Here are some issues found in candles:
Paraffin the deadly killer
Paraffin might be a commonly used ingredient but it is also one of the deadly ones. The toxin is a deadly waste product from the petrol industry. It is known for its carcinogenic properties which are released when burned. The fumes are similar to diesel and can be deadly and are similar to inhaling cigarette smoke. You can die of serious respiratory illnesses like lung cancer and asthma. The best way to avoid paraffin candles is by opting for organic eco-friendly candles and do not purchase candles from the dollar store.
High lead content
Remember that scented candles have high lead content in the core of their wicks which can be released when burnt. The original wick is made from pure paper or cotton but due to the scarcity and high cost, lead is used. Some candles imported from China or Taiwan have high lead content. The most commonly found chemicals are Benzene or Toluene which have a dusty residue that gets stuck on to surfaces. Toluene affects the central nervous system while Benzene can cause cancer. Remember to avoid metal core wicks when buying a candle and most importantly learn how to spot one. Higher end stores have good reputable candles like Ikea which boasts of lead free candles.
Allergies can spring up if you use artificial and look for handmade candles. The colors and scents can irritate your skin and cause a reaction in the form of bumps or rashes so beware of using candles. There are dangerous scents like those found in nail polish removers which can cause respiratory issues and constrict inhalation. Learn to buy naturally scented candles with natural ingredients which are less harmful and can cause less allergic reactions. Avoid gel candles when you purchase candles due to their high toxicity and chemical content.
Remember if you are on a budget and you buy a normal candle burn it in an open space to let the fumes emanate easily on to the open space. You must also focus on burning these candles rarely, perhaps once a week or once a month to avoid the harmful effects of burning candles.